Desh’s Voluminous, Tight, Articulate Final Submissions Overwhelm State, Prosecutors Plead for Time to Respond

Desh and mates in court
Desh and mates in court

Businessman Andrew Kananura aka Desh has today left court a happy man after prosecutors described final submissions filed by his defense lawyers as exhaustive and engaging.

“The final submissions by the defense team are detailed and involving. We need more time to be able to respond adequately,” senior principal state attorney Jane Kajuga leading the prosecution team pleaded with Justice Joseph Mulangira.

The defense team led by Chris Bakiza had tabled before court their final notes in the case. And the State lawyers were supposed to respond. But called upon to respond, the prosecution team conceded their inability to do so at that point in time, going on to plead for more time.

Kananura is on trial with four others who include brother Raymond Kananura, Samuel Nzoreba , Jacob Onyango and Syrus Maganda,  for purportedly killing one Badru Kateregga. Until his demise, Kateregga was working as an attendant at Kananura’s upscale Panamera Bar nestled away in the equally upscale Naguru.

On 9th march while giving his defense, Desh told court that the death of Kateregga could have resulted from mob actions of fellow workers in his absence.

He said that when he was called by one Charles, that one of his workers had been beaten and was unwell, he made efforts call for medical help and also informed Kiira Road Police.

Desh further said that he then drove to Panamera and found Kateregga still breathing but as he tried to call a friend from Kadic Hospital, he was told that the man was dead.

At this point he says two of the bouncers at the bar, Robert and Charles fled the scene.

Kananura says he was scheduled for a flight to Kenya for back treatment the following day, and that the Kiira Rd DPC one Walugembe cleared him to leave, asking him to stay in touch. While in Kenya, he says, he was referred to the UK.

“While away I kept in touch with the police, but later on I was shocked by the telephone calls I received from friends in Kampala about the misinformation that was being put out in the media,” he said.

Desh revealed that since he knew that he was innocent he returned back to the country only to be picked on the tarmac of the airport and driven to police and produced in court.

His brother Raymond also denied the murder charges saying that the two were raised in a religious family.

Justice Mulangira on Friday adjourned the case to 6th and 7th April when there will be a rejoinder, tackle salient issues and then brief the court assessors before they give their lay conclusions to the matter.

=============================================================== "The Investigator is Uganda’s First Online News Daily with the Latest in Investigative Crime, Politics, Business, Entertainment, Sports, Jobs, Opinions and Analysis. Call Us on +256 701 120000, +256 772 097871 or WhatsApp on +256 701 760099, Email: