This expose will happen in 3 parts. In Part 1, I will deal with the fraudulent sports fields project.
In Part 2, I will deal with the demolition of teachers’ quarters to create space for bus parking and in Part 3, I will deal with the false accounting, fraud and embezzlement discovered in the audited books of accounts that put the Auditor General on the spot.
Starting April 22nd 2016 when the Board of Governors of Old Kampala SSS published a bid in the New Vision newspaper calling for investors to enter into a joint venture with the school to develop the sports complex into a modern sports complex and to hire out Plot 19 Namirembe Rd for use as a bus park, the Old Kampala Old Students Association led by their Chairman; Egesa Ronald Leonard tried to engage the Board of Governors to tread carefully to avoid dolling out the school land in the same reckless manner as other city schools that lost their land to quack investors.
The hallmarks of these quack investors coming under the guise of public private partnership were written all over the deals. The Board of Governors led by their Chairman; Dr. Robert Joseph Jjumba and the Headteacher; Mrs. Aziida Ntegana Nsubuga could not allow the rest of the Board members to listen to voices of reason from the Old students. They were determined to execute their 5 year strategic plan by handing the school’s strategic assets to the investors through fraudulent processes.
The Sports fields
The Old students Association Executive tried to get intervention of KCCA, Ministry of Education, but it was not forthcoming. They also petitioned the Solicitor General who advised that they contact PPDA. They contacted PPDA, which investigated the project of the sports fields and discovered that it was carried out in total disregard of the applicable laws. This was contained in their report issued on 18th November 2016. We now bring you the way this fraudulent transaction was hatched.
- In the 69th Board of Governors meeting held on 18th June 2015, the Headteacher reported to the Board members that she was not able to complete the task of leveling the fields and planting grass due to unavailability of funds. The meeting authorised her to borrow 360 million shillings from Bank of Africa to handle this task and others such as renovating toilets and construction of the school fence
- In the same 69th meeting of the Board of Governors held on 18th June 2015, the Headteacher introduced to the Board a team of gentlemen from a company called Abamwe Transporters Ltd led by a one Axam Senkayi, who is an errand boy of the Kampala Central Member of Parliament. They made their proposal to the Board of Governors and the Board remarked as shown in the figure below
Look at 5.3, the land of the fields is just 2 acres, but they were proposing to construct a football stadium, indoor games stadium, a hotel, shops and parking yard!!! The members said the presentation was impressive without asking themselves if the land of 2 acres can have all that!!!!
- This meeting resolved that the company; Abamwe Transporters should make a detailed costed proposal and Architectural designs and company profile and present to the Board. The Finance committee of the Board was tasked to carry out due diligence on Abamwe Transporters.
- Later on, in the 70th Board of Governors meeting held on 30th November 2015, the finance committee of Board claimed that Abamwe Transporters had not submitted its paperwork. It was resolved that the school writes to Abamwe Transporters Ltd, as if Abamwe was just helping the school!
- Then, in the 71st meeting of the Board of Governors, they resolved that they should solicit for more potential firms to have competition and better work. This was proposed by a member who is an old student of the school as a trap for these mafia whose interests the Headteacher was serving.
- When the Old Students Association contact PPDA to investigate the transaction, PPDA
summarised the facts as below
- The PPDA then made the following recommendations after their investigations
- After receiving the recommendations of the PPDA, the Headteacher and Board Chairman just abandoned that project. You wonder they could not go ahead to seek to implement the recommendations of the Authority if they indeed were genuine about the Sports complex project.
As soon as the PPDA report came out, they started claiming that the Old students Association was anti development. They could not tell people that they had wanted to cut short cuts to give the land to the investor! This script was used to steal land from Kololo SS and other city schools. This is what prompted Daniel Kalinaki in 2012 to write an article on how to steal public school land in 10 steps or less.
The full article can be accessed online here
… to be continued in Part 2 with the hiring out of teachers’ quarters land to a bus company