The Investigator understands, Lt. Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba is holding reconciliation as well as consulting with Rwandan president Paul Kagame ahead of replacing his dad, President Yoweri Museveni in 2026 or thereafter.
During the second visit to Rwanda, Kainerugaba is seen paying homage to the victims of genocide in Rwanda as well as beseeching the spirits of the war heroes for blessings on the way to taking over from President Museveni.
Muhoozi is trying to befriend the Rwanda President who is thought to be plotting to stay in power beyond 2026. So, the president-in-waiting needs to make friends with Kagame for the good of his government.
Muhoozi is not intent on consulting with Uhuru Kenyatta. The Kenyan president is not ready to court controversy by fiddling with the national constitution to keep power beyond his second last term which is ending soon.
Uhuru is issuing farewell to Kenyans currently. He is also introducing Raila Odinga to Kenyans as well as asking voters to remember him (Odinga) at the next elections.
Tanzanian president Samiya Suluhu Hassan is an accidental president. He succeeded John Pombe Magufuli who died in power. She did not fight to get power. The army cannot allow her nor does she have what it takes to fiddle with the Tanzanian constitution to keep herself in power.
Kagame on the contrary studied from Ntare School as Museveni and the two fought the war that brought the latter to power. Museveni turned the favor by backing Kagame on the way to taking power in Rwanda.
But the two have since fallen out. The big fall-out saw the two friends turning guns against each other during their incursions into DRC to fight rebels fighting both of them.
The two leaders even after the gun had gone silent inside DRC, have continued to look at each other with suspicion on account of backing groups to overthrow the other.
Kagame escalated the matters three years back when he shut Rwanda borders to Uganda. Following the lifting the lockdown, Museveni sent Muhoozi to Kagame to break the impasse.
Kagame opened the border but restricted entry, except for cargo trucks from Ugandan taking goods to Rwanda.
This is how Museveni ended up courting Kagame for reconciliation knowing that Muhoozi is going to succeed him.
Museveni directed Muhoozi to personally meet Kagame because it is him, he intends to leave in power and therefore needs to talk peace with the Rwandan President, the same Muhoozi regards as his uncle.
Muhoozi only recently continued to let the cat out of the bag by hinting on leaving the army. Serving military officer aren’t allowed to take part in politics. This would imply Muhoozi is preparing to stand in 2026, reason he wants out of the military.
While Museveni is known to have advised Muhoozi to write the twitter openly resigning from the military in order to gauge public perception about his presidential bid, the commander-in-chief later turned around and rejected Muhoozi’s request.
Museveni knew fully well that Muhoozi’s request would backfire since he himself rejected Gen David Sejusa`s such request and even court-martialed him, although he let Muhoozi be.
- Mr. Stephen Kasozi Muwambi is a seasoned crime investigative writer, majoring in judicial-based stories. His two decades’ experience as a senior investigative journalist has made him one of the best to reckon on in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected]
- Featured2022.05.17Easy Quiz: How Dr. Kizza Besigye and Bobi Wine are Returning the favor to Yoweri Museveni thru Muhoozi for their Promotion
- Opinion2022.05.11Intelligence Xclusive: Gen. Muhoozi eyes Premier Peter Mayiga for Vice Presidency, Chairman Norbert Mao for Prime Minister
- Business2022.05.11Must Read Big Story: Tycoon Patrick Bitature Floors South African Loan Sharks in Fraudulent UDS30M Transaction
- Crime news2022.05.09Wavamunno Tales: How City Businessman Pulled-off a Hot Dollars` Robbery from the Comfort of His Kampala Home!