Kampala, 2nd October 2018 – As a consumer protection measure, the Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) has closed factory premises of Sunshare Investment Limited in Mukono until further notice over failure to comply with set standards in its production processes.
Sunshare Investments is known for production of the Lucky brand of juices including mango, pineapple and orange flavours.
Laboratory analysis carried out by UNBS on product samples submitted for testing indicated high level of Free Chlorine in the product contrary to the requirements of the Standard (US 47: 2011) for juices and other non-carbonated drinks.
According to the standard, juices and non-carbonated drinks should be free from chlorine because of its adverse effects on human health. Chlorine reacts with water to form acids which are poisonous to human body once consumed.
Chlorine is an active ingredient used in disinfectants such as JIK to sterilise water and kill bacteria and other micro-organisms. However, high levels of chlorine results in production of toxic substances that may lead to damage of internal body organs.
The premises of Sunshare factory shall remain closed until when the company directors have demonstrated that they have put corrective measures in place to ensure that such contamination does happen in future.
UNBS will continue to perform its mandate of enforcing standards to protect consumer health and safety and the environment against dangerous and sub-standard products.
UNBS would like to urge the public to remain vigilant and report any cases of substandard products on the market on our toll-free line: 0800 133 133.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2023.03.24UPDF Applauded By Visiting United Nations Delegation on Fact Finding Mission Over Great Contribution Towards the Regional Security
- Crime news2023.03.22Mabaati Saga: Discernment as Speaker Among is Finally Allowed to Return the `Stolen` Iron Sheets but Kadaga, Nabbanja, Alupo and Kashaija Face the Music
- Business2023.03.11Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago Leads Sudanese Delegation for a Familiarization Tour of the NWSC Bugolobi Sewerage Treatment Plant
- Business2023.02.27Uganda to Host the Next African Water Association Congress and Exhibition as NWSC MD DR. Eng. Silver Mugisha wins Second Presidential Term