The Uganda Electoral Commission has started public display of lists of Verified Administrative Units at City Division and Sub-County Headquarters Countrywide.
In preparation for the conduct of the Women Councils and Committee Elections from the Village to National level in 2022, and the Administrative Unit (LC. 1 & LC. 2) Elections in 2023, the Electoral Commission conducted an exercise to verify and confirm Administrative Units (Villages/Cells and Parishes/Wards) countrywide.
The above exercise was conducted from 17th – 26th March 2022 across the country. According to EC Spokesperson Paul Bukenya, the Commission has processed the data which was compared, verified and confirmed during the exercise.
“Accordingly, the Electoral Commission will display the lists of verified Administrative Units from Monday 11th April to Wednesday 20th April 2022 for public viewing at the Division and Sub County Headquarters in the respective Cities and Districts countrywide,” Bukenya says.
He says the display exercise will be conducted during working hours throughout the above period including weekends. “The exercise will be conducted under the direct supervision of the respective Division and Sub- County Elections Supervisors,” he said.
According to the EC, the purpose of this display exercise is to:
- Enable the public to confirm that only existing Administrative Units (Villages/Cells and Parishes/Wards) and those created by 9th April 2021 by way of a Statutory Instrument are included on the list;
- Enable the public to check for the correctness/accuracy of the details of their respective Administrative Units, that is, the Parish/Ward and Village/Cell;
- Enable the public confirm that the Administrative Units are correctly located within their respectful and rightful Sub-county/Town Council/Municipal Division and Parish/Ward;
- Enable stakeholders confirm that all Administrative Units’ Names as listed, that is, City/District, Constituency, Sub-county/Town/Municipal Division, Parish/Ward and Village/Cell) are correctly spelt and written;
- Enable the concerned stakeholders raise objections, if any, to the inclusion and/or omission of a particular Administrative Unit, that is, a Parish/Ward and/or Village/Cell
The EC says any objection against the inclusion or omission of an Administrative Unit (Village/Cell or Parish/Ward) shall be raised to the respective District/City Returning Officer through the Division/Sub County Supervisor using the forms provided by the Electoral Commission.
“The Electoral Commission will hear and determine any queries and/objections raised by the public about the inclusion/omission of any Administrative Unit (Village/Cell or Parish/Ward) in accordance with the legal provisions for creation of administrative units,” Bukenya says.
After the display exercise, the Commission will produce the final list of Administrative Units which will be disseminated to all stakeholders by 13th May 2022.
EC says all persons participating in the display exercise shall be required to comply with guidelines issued by the Electoral Commission in accordance with the Government of Uganda and Ministry of Health measures against the spread of COVID-19.
These measures include observing social distancing, hand washing, and wearing of masks. “The Commission urges all stakeholders to participate in this display exercise in order to ensure a harmonized list of units that will be used for purposes of organizing and conducting the upcoming Women Councils and Committees Elections 2022, and the Administrative Units (LC 1 & LC 2) Elections 2023,” Bukenya says.
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- Cricket2022.05.17The Victory-ia Pearls Cricket Team Thrashes ICC’s High Ranking Women Nepal side, goes Chest-thumping
- Gaming2022.05.11Jumping to the Topmost: Nansana Galaxy Club Currently enjoying the Top Spot of the 2022 ULF top tier Ludo League
- Sports2022.05.11Deservedly Honoured: Hasifah Nassuuna Receives a Standing Ovation on scoring her 100th goal, Setting a historical Record
- Sports2022.05.11More Clout: Crested Cranes Welcome Two Professionals, set to face Rwanda, Burundi and Djibouti at Women Championship