The Ugandan is pitted against Alyssa Healy of Australia and Nat Sciver from the English Cricket. The trio have been nominated and will compete for the ICC Player of the Month of April.
The Uganda all-rounder Janet Mbabazi was nominated for her sizzling form during the T20I tri-series between Uganda, Namibia and Zimbabwe in Windhoek last month. She ended the series as the leading wicket-taker, while also chipping in with some vital runs.
In six matches, Mbabazi scalped 11 wickets at 7.81 and a miserly economy of 5.60. She registered her best figures of 4/12 in an encounter against Zimbabwe. Apart from her heroics with the ball, Mbabazi also ended the series as the fifth-highest run-scorer.
She notched up 118 runs at an average of 29.50 and a strike-rate of 73.75, with a best of 42 against Zimbabwe. Though Uganda failed to win a single contest, her performances were a real positive both for her and the country at large. With the nomination, Mbabazi becomes the very first Ugandan to be shortlisted for the ICC Player of the Month Award.
Alyssa Healy, Australia:
Healy played only one match in April, but it proved to be a historic one for Australia. In the 2022 ICC Women’s World Cup Final against England, Healy was at her sublime best. She played a mammoth knock of 170 off 138 deliveries, which is the highest score by a batter in a World Cup final.
She also established two crucial partnerships of 160 and 156 respectively, with Rachael Haynes and Beth Mooney. Her effort helped Australia set England a target of 357 in Christchurch as Australia would end up restricting England to 285 to win the match by 71 runs and lift their seventh ODI World Cup title.
Nat Sciver, England:
While Alyssa Healy’s knock took the limelight, Nat Sciver gained plenty of plaudits for her heroic effort, which kept England in the fight in the final. While losing wickets at the other end chasing a massive target, Sciver went hell for leather, playing some brilliant shots.
The all-rounder notched up a score of 148 in only 121 deliveries, a knock comprised of 15 fours and a six. This was the third-highest score in a World Cup final. Her knock helped England post a respectable score of 285 in their chase of 357, and though it was not enough to stop a brilliant Australian unit, Sciver’s stock rose ever higher.
The ICC Player of the Month Awards were launched in January 2021, to recognize and celebrate the best performances across all formats of international cricket throughout the year. The Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards are decided by an independent Voting Academy comprising former players, journalists and broadcasters, as well as cricket fans from around the world who are invited to vote on ICC’s channels.
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- Featured2023.02.02Peace Proscovia: The Ugandan International Netball Super Shooter, She-Cranes Captain and Surrey Storm’s Masterclass
- Business2023.02.02Smari Institute: Launching with a Mission of Empowering Africa’s Youths and Developing their Skillsets for a better Africa
- Crime news2023.01.27Video Story: The Local Gymnastics Sports Body Rides on but Not Without Hullabaloo and Muddle at its Forefront
- Featured2023.01.25Fatal Fight: Why Eddie Gombya of the ‘Death Fight’ Between Golola Moses and Qassim Ouma is Himself an Angle of Death