Uganda Lacrosse Association (ULA) President Kenneth Kasule, in his acting capacity, could have been the only certain biggest opponent for the Uganda National lacrosse team when he chose to divert their air tickets cash for his peculiar advantage.
Luckily last week, he was arrested by the State House Anti-Corruption Unit for embezzling the dimes and he is remanded in Luzira prison for stealing dimes meant the for national team’s air tickets. Of the UGX97M, the corrupt person in Kasule allegedly procured a few tickets worth only UGX37M as he pocketed the whooping UGX67M, leaving the team puzzled with what to do next.
But as committed was government. Through the National Council of Sports (NCS), they had to bail out the team with UGX130M lest they miss out on the team life opportunity to represent the country at the big showpiece, the World Lacrosse Men’s Championships 2023. Consequently, on the morning of Friday, June 16th 2023, the team of 26 (23 players and 3 officials), was officially flagged off for the United States of America, to represent the Country at the World Championships in San Diego.
Joseph Oluga, the Acting General Secretary, flanked by the assistant G.S David Ssemakula Katende, witnessed the official flag-off ceremony in front of the Lugogo Indoor Arena in Lugogo, Kampala. “Keep the team spirit. Go and represent Uganda gallantly. We wish you the very best” Oluga stated. “We have trained well and ready to give our best in the world championships. The morale is high” Oriana revealed.
The championship will feature the top 30 men’s national teams in the world, including many of the marquee players from the Premier Lacrosse League and National Lacrosse Leagues across the globe. The event will include five days of pool play, followed by playoffs comprising a first round, quarterfinals, semi-finals and medal games. The 2023 World Lacrosse Championship will be the 14th edition of the international men’s field lacrosse tournament for national teams organized by World Lacrosse.
Initially scheduled for 2022, it was postponed to 2023 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The games will start on Wednesday, June 21 and climax on Saturday, Jul 1st 2023 at the San Diego’s Snapdragon and Torero Stadiums. Uganda’s team will be captained by Keith Lubangkene. Uganda is in group B alongside Japan, Wales, Denmark and France.
This year’s event, the 14th edition of the men’s world championship, features 30 teams vying for the sport’s biggest prize – 20 teams earned their spot in the championship after the first-ever set of continental qualifiers over the past two years. San Diego State’s newly constructed 32,000-seat Snapdragon Stadium will be the site of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, opening game, semifinals, and medal games.
Meanwhile, USD’s Torero Stadium will host a majority of featured tournament games with a capacity of 6,000 spectators. The 30 teams are split into six pools of five, with the top five nations in the rankings Pool A. The top two A pool teams will advance directly to the quarterfinals, while the remaining three teams from the A pool will join the top nine teams from pools B-F (five first-place finishers and four second-place finishers) in the first round of the playoffs on June 27 to determine the remaining teams in the quarterfinals, which kick off on June 28.
United States, Canada, Haudenosaunee, Australia, England
Japan, Uganda, Wales, Denmark, France
Israel, Philippines, Czech Republic, Sweden, Puerto Rico
Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland, Poland, Jamaica
Scotland, Hong Kong/China, Italy, Austria, Mexico
Ireland, Korea, Latvia, Netherlands, Peru
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- FeaturedJanuary 22, 2024Cecilia Barbara Atim Ogwal: The Beauty Queen, Banker, Wife, Mother, Businesswoman, Consultant, Legislator, Advocate and a Politician That Logged Out at 77 Amid G-77
- EntertainmentDecember 23, 2023All Smiles for and Of Joy: The Groundless Beauty is in Realizing that Sometimes Real Superheroes Live in the Hearts of Small Children Fighting Big Battles
- FeaturedDecember 22, 2023NUP Reshuffle: Hon. Mathias Mpuuga Worked With, and Led a Team of Young, Multi-Skilled, Talented But ‘Political Novices’ Courtesy of PeoplePower Wave
- BusinessNovember 29, 2023It is Dead Muzaata`s Word Against the Living Mubajje`s: Fallen Cleric`s ‘You are a Thief’ Lyrics Returns Social Media Wires Years after His Stinging Prediction