The Electoral Commission has announced suspension of hitherto impending Countrywide Women Councils and Committees` elections until further notice. The announcement was in a presser issued by the EC Chairperson, Justice Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon, citing lack of funds to facilitate the exercise. Below is his full statement.
On 18th February 2022, the Electoral Commission issued a Roadmap detailing the various activities to be conducted under the programme for elections of Women Councils and Committees from the Village to the National Level.
To-date the Electoral Commission has finalised the compilation of the Village Women Residents’ Register and is currently conducting the Display of the said Registers at each Village/Cell across the country in preparation for subsequent activities, namely, nomination of candidates and polling at the Village level.
However, the Ministry of Finance has informed the Commission that the funds required for conducting the subsequent activities under the electoral Roadmap are not yet available.
Accordingly, the Commission informs the general public, Political Party leaders and women in particular, that the remaining programme for the elections of Village Women Councils and Committees, shall not be implemented as earlier scheduled.
Consequently, all the remaining activities under the approved programme for conduct of the Women Councils and Committees Elections, starting with the nominations of candidates, which were earlier scheduled for Monday 27th June – 1st July 2022, have been suspended.
The Commission will issue a new programme for the above electoral activities when the required additional funds are availed. The Commission appeals to Political Parties and Organisations, aspiring candidates and their supporters, and all other stakeholders in these elections, to remain calm as the matter of the additional funding requirements is being handled by the relevant organs of Government.
Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon
Chairperson, Electoral Commission
- Mr. Jacko David Waluluka is another unique entertainment and general investigative news writer, a field he has diligently covered for over fifteen years. He’s also the Chief Administrator at The Investigator. He can easily be reached via [email protected]
- Crime newsOctober 5, 2023Security Beat NUP at Its One-Million-Man Match but Bobi Wins the Ultimate Humane Battle that Saw Sorry Boda-Boda Riders and Humble Journalists Arrested
- BusinessOctober 2, 2023Ugly Twist: How American Meg Hilbert Has Taken Over the Contested Jakana Family Business, Discarding its 94-Year-Old Ugandan Founder to the Gutter
- BusinessSeptember 25, 2023Tenterhooks as High Court Stays Ruling on Halting Lawyer Felix Kintu Nteza`s UGX195M Fraud Case Proceedings at Buganda Road Magistrates Court
- Crime newsSeptember 24, 2023Trouble as Ministry of Internal Affairs is drawn into a High-Stakes Child Custody Battle Involving a Prominent City Car Dealer being Accused of Immigration Influence