The Leader of Opposition, Hon. Mathias Nsubuga, has raised serious concerns over the health condition of ailing Kawempe North MP, Hon. Mohammed Ssegirinya, accusing him of failing to follow proper parliamentary procedures in communicating his health indisposition. Hon. Ssegirinya has been receiving specialized treatment at the Amsterdam Universitair Medische Centra (UMC) Hospital in the Netherlands since August 10, 2023.
In a statement released late Monday evening, Hon. Mpuuga addressed the controversy surrounding the absence of communication regarding Hon. Ssegirinya’s health condition. He acknowledged being made aware of the situation through social media comments and expressed his disappointment at the lack of formal notification from the ailing MP.
“My attention has been drawn to social media comments relating to the condition of our colleague, Hon. Mohammed Ssegirinya of Kawempe North, who’s currently indisposed and receiving treatment in the Netherlands,” Hon. Mpuuga’s statement read. “I learned of his condition last week, on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023, and the office promptly reached out to him. It was established that he traveled without any notification to the LOP’s office and the NUP party headquarters.”
The statement further revealed that Hon. Mpuuga had communicated this matter to the National Unity Platform (NUP), including its President, Bobi Wine. The Leader of Opposition emphasized that proper parliamentary procedures should have been followed and that the office has been actively involved to ensure that Hon. Ssegirinya is supported through appropriate channels.
Fellow MP Hon. Mohammed Nsereko confirmed that he had personally spoken to Hon. Ssegirinya, who revealed he was battling skin cancer and lung infection-related complications. The news has ignited debates about transparency and accountability among the political community, with concerns raised about the manner in which such health issues are communicated.
In a related development, Chris Obore, the parliament spokesperson, corroborated the assertion that Hon. Ssegirinya had not adhered to official parliamentary procedure by failing to inform the medical board prior to seeking medical treatment abroad. The absence of proper notification has fueled tensions and raised questions about the responsibilities of elected officials to communicate their health status effectively.
It is worth noting that both Hon. Ssegirinya and Allan Ssewanyana, the Makindye West MP, were remanded on multiple charges, including attempted murder, murder, and terrorism, back in September 2021. After nearly 16 months on remand, they were granted bail by the Masaka High Court Resident Judge, Lawrence Tweyanze, due to health reasons.
Since their release, the two MPs have been largely absent from parliamentary proceedings, except for a brief appearance after their incarceration. The revelation of Hon. Ssegirinya’s deteriorating health condition underscores the seriousness of the situation and calls for immediate parliamentary intervention.
The saga surrounding Hon. Ssegirinya’s health serves as a reminder that the well-being of elected representatives is a matter of public concern, necessitating transparency and adherence to proper protocols. As the controversy unfolds, the nation watches closely to see how the situation will be addressed and whether adequate measures will be taken to safeguard the health of the ailing MP.
- Mr. Jacko David Waluluka is another unique entertainment and general investigative news writer, a field he has diligently covered for over fifteen years. He’s also the Chief Administrator at The Investigator. He can easily be reached via [email protected]
- BusinessSeptember 25, 2023Tenterhooks as High Court Stays Ruling on Halting Lawyer Felix Kintu Nteza`s UGX195M Fraud Case Proceedings at Buganda Road Magistrates Court
- Crime newsSeptember 24, 2023Trouble as Ministry of Internal Affairs is drawn into a High-Stakes Child Custody Battle Involving a Prominent City Car Dealer being Accused of Immigration Influence
- EntertainmentSeptember 18, 2023Fare Thee Well Darling: Delicately Voiced Singer Evelyn Nakabira ‘Lagu’ Goes Home Sad and Disappointed but with a Hope-filled Smile
- BusinessSeptember 18, 2023Micho: The `Serbian Wol-Off`s Second Marriage Whose Divorce was Simply a Waste of Time, One With Magogo and Not for Football