The Electoral Commission has started verifying supporters for nomination of candidates for the 2021 Presidential Elections.
Section 10(b) of the Presidential Elections Act requires a Presidential candidate’s nomination to be supported by at least 100 registered voters from ninety-eight (98) districts; that amounts to two thirds of all the districts of Uganda.
As at 25th September 2020, 82 aspirants had collected nomination forms and supporter forms.
They include those from the Alliance for National Transformation (ANT), Ecological Party Uganda (EPU), National Resistance Movement (NRM), National Unity Platform (NUP) and Revolutionary People’s Party (RPP).
The 77 aspiring independent candidates include nine female aspirants, namely, Amaro Faith, Amolo Pamela, Kabarungi Grace Juliana, Kalembe Nancy Linda, Kataha Janet Komugisha, Katushemererwe Brenda, Kyalya Maureen, Lugudde Katwe Elizabeth and Mirembe Phiona.
Due to the sizeable number of signatures required for nomination as a Presidential candidate, the Commission has advised aspiring candidates to submit the lists of supporters to the Electoral Commission for verification at least two weeks before the nomination dates, that is, before 16th October 2020.
Presidential aspirants are also advised to collect more than 100 signatures to cater for shortfalls.
Presidential aspirants who attain verified supporters from at least 98 Districts/Cities are given a Certificate which they present to the Returning Officer on nomination day.
The aspiring candidates have also been advised to book time in advance on any of the gazetted dates, that is, Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd November 2020, in order to ensure a smooth nomination exercise.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Uncategorized2022.05.18Obwakamuswaga at 18: Kamuswaga Apollo Isansha Kabumbuli II Decries Early Marriages for the Girl Child
- Crime news2022.05.18Fake Auction: Court orders against planned Patrick Bitature Properties `Sale` as Lawyers Strip Selves of Wisdom
- Business2022.05.10EC New Home Panic: Ugly Encumbrances emerge on Butabika Land, IGG Strips Self Naked as Ownership gets questioned
- Sports2022.05.05Stanbic Uganda Cup: Sports Club Vipers tipped for a Season Double through a fair Cup Semi-Final Draw