After commencement of the campaigns for Presidential, Parliamentary and Local Government Council elections on Monday 9thNovember, the Electoral Commission has aired its displeasure with the candidates that are failing to follow the SOPs.
The Public Health (Control of Covid19) (Amendment No.3) Rules, 2020 require that gatherings for political meetings should be below 200 people. This, the EC notes, is not being followed. To this, some candidates have added the habit of conducting campaigns in non-designated areas contrary to the harmonized campaign programme it passed in an earlier press statement.
Further, the EC is dismayed by candidates stopping in trading centres and addressing public gatherings along the highways. This contravenes the requirement for the campaigns to be conducted in approved venues, times and dates under the harmonised programme.
Lastly, the EC notes in its statements that the candidates’ taking to not wear face masks while conducting campaigns puts them and their addressees at risk of contracting Covid19.
The EC reiterates the need to follow the guidelines that it set at the beginning for the candidates to follow. It warns that failure to abide by them will solicit intervention from law enforcing authorities as well as other unstipulated measures.
It goes without saying that the health and safety of the public is paramount.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2022.12.26State Takes over Former Head of Public Service and Secretary to Cabinet, Late John Mitala`s Sendoff Arrangements
- Entertainment2022.12.08Dull 2022 Music Year for Uganda: Bubble Gum Stuff, Binyanya Mixes as Azawi, Gravity and Lutalo Close the Year on a High
- Featured2022.11.30Bossa-Less Gaddafi: Play Caught Gaddafi FC’s Coach Wasswa Bossa in the Foul Lane, before he was Suspended and Fined Too
- Business2022.11.30NWSC @50: Sheikh Mubajje, Eng. Badru Kiggundu Lead Thanks Giving Prayers to Commemorate the Golden Jubilee