The Electoral Commission issued a press release on 15thDecember, 2020 addressing the issues presented during their meeting with Hon. Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu (Bobi Wine). The EC issued advise to him as well as other senior National Unity Platform (NUP) party officials to follow the guidelines that the commission issued.
The meeting was a follow up meeting to the one that had been adjourned on 14thDecember, 2020 because the Commission insisted on and required the personal attendance of the candidate.
Bobi complained during the meeting that his campaigns were being thwarted by the security personnel who also interfered with his scheduled radio programs. Further, he pointed out that his routes were redirected which hindered his ability to make it to venues on time.
They further inferred that the guidelines was being enforced in a partisan manner and called on the EC to ensure that the Uganda Police enforces the guidelines with equality.
The Commission notified Bobi that it had written to Police in response to the complaints he made in earlier meetings as well as lodged with it. The EC noted that a response from the Uganda Police was received and subsequently, the EC is trying to organise a meeting with Police.
The EC seeks to have this meeting with the leadership of the Uganda Police Force , the political parties sponsoring presidential candidates as well as Independent presidential candidates aimed at resolving issues related to the campaigns.
In the meantime, Bobi was advised to follow the election guidelines and respect the Covid19 Standard Operating Procedures. He and any other contesting candidates were warned that the Commission would take action should they fail to adhere to the law.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Business2022.05.10EC New Home Panic: Ugly Encumbrances emerge on Butabika Land, IGG Strips Self Naked as Ownership gets questioned
- Sports2022.05.05Stanbic Uganda Cup: Sports Club Vipers tipped for a Season Double through a fair Cup Semi-Final Draw
- Health2022.05.01Expert adds Scientific Angle to NCS’s Witchcraft Scandal without Dismissing the Vice as a Big Pass time for Africans
- Business2022.05.01Sunday Flashback: How Suleiman Kiggundu Told-off Brethren over a Noble idea of Starting a Moslems Bank but Hijacked It!