The Electoral Commission started accrediting national and international election observers for the 2021 General Elections in December last year. According to the Chairperson of the Accreditation Committee, who is also Deputy Chairperson of the Commission, Hajat Aisha Lubega, the EC Accreditation Center, based at Serena Kampala Hotel, was officially opened on 22ndDecember last year and will receive and process approved applications up to Monday 11thJanuary 2021.
Section 16(1)(a) of the Electoral Commissions Act, gives the Commission powers to accredit representatives of political parties, civil society organizations, media and any other duly registered institutions to observe electoral activities.
At least 49 national and international organisations, diplomatic missions and regional institutions have expressed interest in observing the elections, with the first category (Presidential and Parliamentary elections) scheduled for 14thJanuary, 2021.
Hajat Aisha clarified that the Accreditation Center will process applications for observation for the National Elections Results Tally Center, as well as tally centers for Kampala Capital City, Wakiso and Mukono districts. Observers for other district tally centers across the country will be accredited by the respective District Returning Officers.
She also emphasized that accredited observers will have to comply with election observer guidelines and Code of Conduct issued by the Electoral Commission, and with the Government of Uganda and Ministry of Health measures against the spread of Covid19
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Business2022.05.10EC New Home Panic: Ugly Encumbrances emerge on Butabika Land, IGG Strips Self Naked as Ownership gets questioned
- Sports2022.05.05Stanbic Uganda Cup: Sports Club Vipers tipped for a Season Double through a fair Cup Semi-Final Draw
- Health2022.05.01Expert adds Scientific Angle to NCS’s Witchcraft Scandal without Dismissing the Vice as a Big Pass time for Africans
- Business2022.05.01Sunday Flashback: How Suleiman Kiggundu Told-off Brethren over a Noble idea of Starting a Moslems Bank but Hijacked It!