KIGO, Kampala: The National Unity Platform (NUP) leader, Hon Robert Ssentamu Kyagulanyi today visited jailed MPs Muhammad Ssegirinya (Kawempe North) and Allan Ssewanyana (Makindye West) at Kigo government prison in Wakiso District.
The duo were remanded on several charges including murder, attempted murder and aiding and abetting terrorism. This is in connection to the recent spate of killings in Masaka sub-region where, an estimated 30 people lost lives.
Kyagulanyi, in company of Nakawa MP Joel Ssenyonyi and the NUP Secretary General David Lewis Rubongoya, arrived at the prison at about 10am and patiently waited for the prison guard detail to scrutinize and formally get clearance for the visit.
They were later cleared and ushered into the detention facility, where they spent some considerable time. When they returned, Kayagulanyi said; “They are alive but they are in pain, especially Hon Ssegirinya who sustained injuries on the foot.”
Ssegirinya says he was beaten so badly that he blacked out and doesn’t remember what they did to him after his arrest, Kyagulanyi reported. “We believe he needs advanced treatment. Hon Ssewanyana was also beaten and still has some pain. Other than that they are alive and strong. As we have seen this is persecution but they continue to stand firm and assert their innocence.”
Kyagulanyi, insists that the duo are just being persecuted by President Museveni’s government and that his new spirited campaign to scrap bail for capital offences suspects is a ploy to keep opposition leaders in custody for the long haul.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2021.12.02Things Fall Apart: Minister Okello Oryem fights Son in his Office for accusing him of Neglecting, Forsaking and Sidelining Family
- Featured2021.11.29War Signals: The Cold but Corrosive War already in its embryonic phase could be waged in Uganda Netball
- Featured2021.11.25Dis/Advantage Champions League: UBF Launches one of its kind Boxing Champions League but with Issues
- Featured2021.11.23NWSC Honored by the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda for Excellence in Sustainability Reporting