Uganda Olympic Committee-UOC and their associates are training a ‘’Game Connect project consisting of coaches, Trainers, liaison officers, project Coordinators among others.
The Course that will take three (3) days from 26th to 28th October 2021 imparts the Participants, most especially young people with an incredible ability to use their energy and creativity to begin positive change in their lives and Communities.
The Game Connect project brings change in the lives of these young refugee youths. UOC is all aware that these games bring life to these youth so it instils a sense of playfulness. The youth being at an age that requires a lot of energy, this project has a lot in stock for them.
The project’s outcome areas are; Social inclusion, Social Cohesion and psychosocial wellbeing, the three areas that challenge around the lives of these refugees. Games like tag rugby, dance, volleyball, football and taekwondo among others are great sports and easy to adapt with and thus is where the play comes in.
These youths leave their homes as far as they can be with an intention of sport and play, as soon as the coaches and trainers reach the playing grounds activities. With all the new games implementation in these refugee Settlements, the coaches engage with the youth, guide them on how the games are played, yet the end year competitions will determine how and what these children have learnt from the training.
“Adapting the play code of sport and play, it all starts with the mind. These children having come from different family backgrounds and being refugees in Uganda, we want them to have a sense of belonging through Sport and eventually they blend in with play activities for both boys and girls.” Stated a trainer at the course.
The Game Connect project aims at improving psychosocial wellbeing and mental health for refugees in at least four districts in Uganda. Access to sports can enrich the lives of these refugees as they participate in the different games, bond, support, and discriminate each other, learn skills that will last them a life time to also contribute to their communities.
This alone boosts mental health and help gain confidence. Game Connect sport creates safe and protective environments where everyone can discover their potential.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2021.12.02Things Fall Apart: Minister Okello Oryem fights Son in his Office for accusing him of Neglecting, Forsaking and Sidelining Family
- Featured2021.11.29War Signals: The Cold but Corrosive War already in its embryonic phase could be waged in Uganda Netball
- Featured2021.11.25Dis/Advantage Champions League: UBF Launches one of its kind Boxing Champions League but with Issues
- Featured2021.11.23NWSC Honored by the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda for Excellence in Sustainability Reporting