By Jako David Waluluka
Fugitive ‘Pastor’ Franklin Mondo Mugisha, the wanted man over fraud in Uganda, has left his safe haven in California USA, for Nigeria.
This follows the suave and debonair self-proclaimed pastor’s acquiring of an American Green card, which partially pits and confirms him as a citizen of the land of opportunities.
Mondo, flew into Nigeria and headed to Yola, where he is among the guest speakers at the International kingdom conference themed ‘taking new territories’, leaders boot camp at the praise cathedral Jambutu bypass, YOLA, Nigeria.
Our pry in Yola, confirms that Mondo, who claims to perform mystical miracles wherever he is invited, has been booked into a luxurious hotel under the auspices of Archbishop Calvin Antonza.
Mondo went underground in or about 25th January 2021, after claiming that he was suffering from Covid 19 and could not attend court proceedings at that time as required.
In February 2021, Buganda Road Magistrate’s court Grade One Magistrate Glady’s Kamasanyu issued a warrant of arrest against Mugisha, the proprietor of Empowerment Christian Church International, in respect to charges of obtaining money by false pretense and conspiracy to commit a felony, preferred against him, and others still at large.
This was after a group of pastors under their umbrella body, Hands Across the World petitioned Lt Col Edith Nakalema, the head of the State House Anti-Corruption Unit indicating that Mondo had used their group to con a number of people, with promises that he would construct churches for the pastors, construct houses and offer scholarships for needy children.
Mondo allegedly obtained more than UGX1Bn from parents in the areas of Bombo-Luwero, Tororo, Iganga, Kaliro and Kampala districts between 2014 and 2020. On another file, Mondo is also charged with three others including Siraje Ssemanda, Margaret Kayima also known as Nabbi Omukazi and Jimmy Arinaitwe, the director of Hands Across the World Initiative Uganda Limited, a sum of Shs 4.5 billion still, through false pretense.
Recently, when we broke the story of Mondo running to the United States of America for safety and self-imposed exile, he contacted us and claimed that he had been absolved of any of the accusations and that the warrant of arrest had been waivered.
However, when we contacted the PRO office of the State house Anti-Corruption Unit, we were told that the charges against Mondo still stand and will be brought to book the moment he steps into the country.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2021.12.02Things Fall Apart: Minister Okello Oryem fights Son in his Office for accusing him of Neglecting, Forsaking and Sidelining Family
- Featured2021.11.29War Signals: The Cold but Corrosive War already in its embryonic phase could be waged in Uganda Netball
- Featured2021.11.25Dis/Advantage Champions League: UBF Launches one of its kind Boxing Champions League but with Issues
- Featured2021.11.23NWSC Honored by the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda for Excellence in Sustainability Reporting