The Electoral Commission Chairperson, Justice Simon Byabakama Mugenyi spent most of his working time last week in Soroti alluring and preaching to Political Parties and prospective candidates in the forthcoming Soroti By-Election. He called upon them and their supporters to observe law and order, transparency, fairness, and aim at having peaceful, free, fair, and credible elections without any violence.
The Electoral Commission outwardly issued the programme for by-election of Member of Parliament for Soroti City East Constituency, and City Division directly-elected Councilor for Pioneer Ward in Soroti City. The position fell vacant after Court of Appeal directed the EC to conduct fresh elections, following the nullification of Moses Attan Okia`s election over anomalies in the demarcation of electoral boundaries.
The Commission later received the official notice about the occurrence of the vacancy for a directly-elected MP for Soroti City East Constituency on 31st May 2022, and therefore, the statutory deadline for holding the by-election has to be Sunday 31st July, 2022.
“As required by law, the statutory deadline for conducting a Parliamentary by-election is 60 days after notification from the Clerk to Parliament on the occurrence of the vacancy.” The EC Chairperson, Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon noted.
Scrutinizing the Parish Tribunal lists of voters recommended for inclusion/deletion from the National Voters’ Register is slated for 7th–12th July to 2022. The lists will be displayed at the parish/ward level and, participation in the polling exercise on 28th July 2022, for the Directly-elected Member of Parliament and the Directly Elected Councilor for Pioneer Ward electoral area.
“The Commission received the notice about the occurrence of the vacancy for a directly-elected MP for Soroti City East Constituency on 31st May 2022, and therefore, the statutory deadline for holding the by-election is Sunday 31st July, 2022.” EC’s Justice Byabakama.
The vacancy for the Directly-elected Member of Parliament, Soroti City East Constituency, resulted from a decision of the Court of Appeal to cancel the outcome of the 2021 elections. Meanwhile, the compilation of the Village Women Residents Register commenced on 10/6/22 and was scheduled to close today, 13/6/22.
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2022.12.26State Takes over Former Head of Public Service and Secretary to Cabinet, Late John Mitala`s Sendoff Arrangements
- Entertainment2022.12.08Dull 2022 Music Year for Uganda: Bubble Gum Stuff, Binyanya Mixes as Azawi, Gravity and Lutalo Close the Year on a High
- Featured2022.11.30Bossa-Less Gaddafi: Play Caught Gaddafi FC’s Coach Wasswa Bossa in the Foul Lane, before he was Suspended and Fined Too
- Business2022.11.30NWSC @50: Sheikh Mubajje, Eng. Badru Kiggundu Lead Thanks Giving Prayers to Commemorate the Golden Jubilee