Government has announced their takeover of the senior civil servant`s burial arrangements set for tomorrow in Kalungu District, Masaka. Dr. John Mitala passed away on Friday upon his arrival at Masaka regional Hospital gate where, he had been rushed in a critical condition, from his home of Kamwokya in Kalungu.
Yesterday, the Government Spokesman, Ofwono Opondo issued a statement, announcing that the President had directed for an official burial for Mitala, accompanied with a gun salute. Below is Opondo`s full statement; “Felow Countrymenand Countrywomen, on Friday 23rd December 2022, the death occurred of John Mitala, the former Head of PublicService & Secretary to Cabinet; at the entrance of Masaka Regional Referal Hospital.
the government of Uganda deeply commiserates with the family; the Presidency and the Kalungu community on thepassing away of an ilustrious, seasoned, humble Public Servant who holds the record as the LONGEST SERVING Headof Public Service-an ofice he held for two decades.
The late John Mitala will be deeply missed not only by the Presidency (where he has been serving as Senior PresidentialAdvisor on Public Service Maters), but also by the Region, Continent, and the Commonwealth where, he notably servedthe Continental Body of the African Association of Public Administrators and Management (AAPAM).
Accordingly, H.E. General Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, in line with Article 99 of the Constitution – which vests ExecutiveAuthority in the President, has directed that the Late John Mitala be accorded an Oficial Burial. The Government ofUganda has constituted a National Organising Committee Chaired by the Minister of Presidency to oversee the funeralarangements as folows:
- Monday 26th December 2022 at 10.00am, the body will leave Masaka Funeral Home to the deceased’s family house inKamwokya, Kalungu District.
- Monday 26th December 2022 at midday; the body wil arive home for a Church Service and an overnight vigil. •Tuesday27th December 2022 starting at midday; Church service for the funeral burial.The state has taken over the entire costs forthe burial and a gun salute will be accorded to him.
Announced By: Ofwono Opondo Government of Uganda Spokesperson.
Dated:25th December 2022.”
- Uganda's First online News Paper. "More than Just News" Investigative, Informative, without Fear or Favor
- Featured2023.03.24UPDF Applauded By Visiting United Nations Delegation on Fact Finding Mission Over Great Contribution Towards the Regional Security
- Crime news2023.03.22Mabaati Saga: Discernment as Speaker Among is Finally Allowed to Return the `Stolen` Iron Sheets but Kadaga, Nabbanja, Alupo and Kashaija Face the Music
- Business2023.03.11Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago Leads Sudanese Delegation for a Familiarization Tour of the NWSC Bugolobi Sewerage Treatment Plant
- Business2023.02.27Uganda to Host the Next African Water Association Congress and Exhibition as NWSC MD DR. Eng. Silver Mugisha wins Second Presidential Term