Businessman Amos Nzeyi has offered to refund money paid by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) for 55 acres of disputed land at Temangalo, Wakiso District, in a fresh attempt to resolve a land controversy that has haunted the workers’ savings scheme for nearly two decades.
Nzeyi, through his lawyer Peter Kabatsi of Kampala Associates Advocates, appeared before Parliament’s Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE), where he responded to questions over his continued occupation of land sold to NSSF in 2008.
The businessman, however, made it clear that he was not prepared to simply abandon his country home and farm on the disputed property without a settlement.
According to Kabatsi, Nzeyi is willing to vacate the land if NSSF agrees to acquire the remaining portion of the property that forms part of the contested area.
Alternatively, Nzeyi is prepared to return to NSSF the money it paid for the 55 acres, effectively offering a financial settlement to bring the long-running dispute to an end.
The development comes at a time when NSSF has escalated the matter to court, seeking to secure possession of land it says it legally acquired almost 18 years ago.
The land at the centre of the dispute
The Temangalo transaction dates back to 2008, when NSSF acquired hundreds of acres from Nzeyi and Arma Limited for a planned housing project.
NSSF says it bought approximately 463.87 acres and that all six certificates of title covering the property are registered in the Fund’s name. The Fund maintains that ownership is therefore not in dispute and that the remaining challenge concerns physical possession of part of the land.
The latest disagreement centres on about 55 acres occupied by Nzeyi. The businessman’s occupation has persisted despite a series of negotiations, arbitration proceedings and attempted land swaps designed to settle the matter.
NSSF’s own records show that the Temangalo housing project has been affected by the dispute for years. In its 2016 annual report, the Fund said an arbitration award had been completed but implementation stalled because the parties could not agree on the suitability of parcels proposed for a land swap. The matter was subsequently referred to court.
The Fund has now taken a harder line. In June, NSSF reportedly gave Nzeyi a deadline of June 30, 2026, to provide suitable alternative land under the terms of the settlement arrangement. When the deadline expired without an agreement, the Fund began the process of seeking enforcement through the High Court.
Nzeyi’s two options
Nzeyi’s latest position before COSASE introduces two possible routes out of the stalemate. His first option is for NSSF to buy the remaining portion of the property he occupies, allowing him to vacate after receiving compensation.
The second is for him to refund the money NSSF paid for the disputed 55 acres. The proposal puts the ball back in NSSF’s court, particularly on the question of valuation and the amount that would constitute a full refund.
The Fund, however, maintains that the land forms part of its investment property and that it should be able to take possession rather than negotiate another purchase.
NSSF has previously stated that independent assessments of alternative land offered by Nzeyi found that only about 10 acres met the requirements agreed upon by the parties, leaving approximately 55 acres unresolved.
The house and farm factor
At the heart of the dispute is the fact that Nzeyi’s country home, farm and other developments are located on the land. The issue is not entirely new.
In 2008, when the transaction first came under parliamentary scrutiny, Nzeyi was questioned over his continued occupation of about 104 acres containing his house and farming activities. At the time, he told legislators that an arrangement had been reached under which he would retain some land after accounting for the portion due to NSSF.
That arrangement would later become the foundation of the prolonged land-swap dispute.
According to NSSF’s account of the matter, Nzeyi was initially allowed to retain 104.88 acres containing a farmhouse, paddocks and other developments, on condition that he provide suitable alternative land to the Fund within six months.
An attempted settlement later reduced the disputed portion to about 54.88 acres, with Nzeyi expected to provide NSSF with alternative land elsewhere.
But disagreements over the suitability of the replacement land prevented the arrangement from being concluded.
The matter eventually went to arbitration in 2013, with the award requiring alternative land to meet specific conditions, including suitability for NSSF’s planned housing development, proximity to land already controlled by the Fund and freedom from squatters.
Parliament steps into the dispute
COSASE’s renewed interest in Temangalo comes amid wider parliamentary scrutiny of NSSF’s management of its property portfolio and the delays surrounding the Temangalo housing project.
In July, Parliament dispatched police officers to inspect the NSSF property at Temangalo and establish the status of the land physically, including what structures and developments remained on the disputed portion. COSASE Vice Chairperson George Musisi said the inspection was intended to provide Parliament with photographic evidence and an independent picture of the situation on the ground.
The parliamentary inquiry places pressure on both sides to provide documentary evidence supporting their positions.
For NSSF, the central argument is that workers’ money was used to acquire the property and that the Fund must obtain full value and possession.
For Nzeyi, the dispute revolves around the terms under which he was allowed to retain the land and the failure to agree on acceptable alternative property.
A dispute that refuses to die
The Temangalo saga has survived changes in NSSF management, parliamentary committees, arbitration proceedings and several attempts at settlement.
NSSF’s audited financial statements have continued to recognise land-related disputes as a risk to its investment portfolio. Its 2023 accounts noted that the Fund had custody of its land titles while also acknowledging encumbrances affecting properties including Temangalo.
The Fund’s 2025 financial statements similarly disclosed ongoing litigation involving Temangalo land, while stating that it had taken legal action against encroachers on its properties.
The latest offer from Nzeyi could therefore provide a possible exit from a dispute that has consumed years of negotiations.
But the question remains whether NSSF will accept a refund for the disputed acres, agree to purchase additional land from Nzeyi, or continue pursuing physical possession through the courts.
For Parliament, the bigger concern is whether the workers whose savings finance NSSF investments have received value from the Temangalo transaction.
Almost two decades after the original sale, the land remains a symbol of the difficulties that can arise when public investment, private property interests and unresolved contractual arrangements collide.
With Nzeyi now offering either to surrender the land following an agreed purchase or refund NSSF for the 55 acres, the Temangalo saga has entered another potentially decisive phase.
The ultimate test, however, will be whether the parties can translate the latest proposal into a legally binding settlement—or whether the courts will once again have to decide who takes possession of the contested land.
Author Profile

- Charles Gazza Kodili is a seasoned journalist with over 20 years of experience in the media industry. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mass Communication. He’s currently the Chief Editor at the Investigator.
Charles can also be reached via; Tel: +256 774 108978
Email: [email protected]
Latest entries
NewsAugust 17, 2026UGANDA MOURNS ALEX MUKULU! The Maverick Who Turned Theatre, Radio and Satire into a National Mirror. Mukulu was unmistakable. He was eccentric. He was humorous. He was fearless. He was sometimes difficult to understand.
NewsAugust 17, 2026TEMANGALO LAND WAR: Tycoon Amos Nzeyi Offers To Refund NSSF For Disputed 55 Acres As Parliament Probes His Continued Occupation Of The Fund’s Property.
NewsAugust 17, 2026MUSEVENI WELCOMES GRANDSON RUHAMYA HOME: President and First Lady Janet celebrate His Sandhurst Graduation As He Joins The UPDF And Follows A Family Military Tradition.
NewsAugust 17, 2026INSIDE THE WORKS MINISTRY CHAOS: How A 2017 Busega–Mpigi Alignment Change Triggered Fresh Land Acquisition, Compensation Claims And Billions In Costs Amid Wani–Muleme Blame Game Scandal
























