The leadership of the Kingdom of Tooro has invited the Electoral Commission to consider using traditional grass root structures and kingdom events to carry out voter awareness programmes.
The offer was extended to the Commission by the Prime Minister of Tooro Kingdom, The Rt. Hon. Benard Tungakwo Ateenyi, during a meeting with members of the Electoral Commission held on Thursday 24th February 2022, at the EC headquarters in Kampala.
The Rt. Hon. Tungakwo described the visit and meeting as part of the Kingdom’s effort to create strategic partnerships with key public and private institutions that provide various social and economic services to the people in the districts that form the Kingdom of Tooro.
Hon. Tungakwo observed that kingdoms and cultural institutions are key players in Uganda’s development agenda. He noted, however, that sustainable development can only happen within stable communities, hence the need to work with stakeholders to ensure peaceful and participatory electoral processes.
The Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon noted that the two institutions serve the same people, hence mobilizing and sensitizing local communities on civic and voter rights and duties and the cause of peace is not a partisan matter.
Justice Byabakama welcomed the invitation to work closely with the Kingdoms` grass root structures to engage and sensitize communities on their roles in promoting peace before, during and after elections.
Tooro Kingdom comprises the electoral districts of Bunyangabu, Kabarole, Kamwenge, Kitagwenda, Kyegegwa, Kyenjojo, Ntoroko and Fort Portal City, with a combined total of nine hundred and ninety thousand (990,000) registe red voters (2021 General Elections).
- Mr. Jacko David Waluluka is another unique entertainment and general investigative news writer, a field he has diligently covered for over fifteen years. He’s also the Chief Administrator at The Investigator. He can easily be reached via [email protected]
- Business2022.09.27Kaazi Resort Hotel Responds to Canary Mugume `De Drunk`, says he Must Apologize or Face the Law
- Business2022.09.26From Kagulu Rock, Miss Tourism, Nyege-Nyege to Miss Curvy, Rt. Hon. Kadaga is the Reigning Savior of Tourism and Entertainment
- Featured2022.09.26Positive Living: MC Kats Set for 8-Week Rounds of University Tours in HIV Awareness Campaign ahead of World Aids Day
- Featured2022.09.26Ebola Updates: Surge in Infections May affect Tourism and Bring the Entertainment Industry onto its Knees