The opposition Democratic Party (DP) has jumped to the defense of the under-fire NUP leaning Mityana MP, Francis Butebi Zaake.
DP says Zaake is an innocent man and should accordingly not dare apologize to deputy speaker, Anita Amongi lest the apology is exploited by his opponents to spin his unsuitability to hold the office of MP.
But his DFC counterpart, Ibrahim Ssemuju Nganda demands Zaake should be left alone to carry his cross. “In future we should be careful not send people who are unsuitable for parliament,” Ssemuju nails Zaake.
The party spokesperson, Okoler Opio Amamu uttered the remarks during DP’s weekly presser held at the party headquarters in Nakulabye. “How do you tell an honest man to apologize for honesty,” Amamu wondered.
He demands parliament should stop at making laws and leave the implementation of those laws to the relevant arm of the government (the judiciary). DP also warns parliament to stop directing an innocent man to apologize lest lawyers would end up dragging the institution to the courts of law which will not hesitate to embarrass the institution as the accuser, prosecutor and judge of its own case.
A disciplinary committee chaired by lawmaker Abdu Katuntu found Zaake guilty of indiscipline for castigating the deputy speaker of parliament outside the House.
Zaake had exploited his woes to expose Amongi as the accuser and prosecutor as well as sitting in judgment of her own case.
Zaake rejected Katuntu’s summons to appear to defend himself, saying his guilt had been predetermined by Amongi via accusing him of faking his torture.
Zaake told Katuntu he was shocked by Amongi who stated he had faked his torture yet medical doctors and judges have since adjudged him to have been tortured by security operatives.
Katuntu insists Zaake whose prestigious job of the Commissioner of parliament has since been withdrawn from him, must yet again make a public apology to Amongi.
Zaake is thought to be seeing lawyers to chase for his innocence via courts of law.
- Mr. Stephen Kasozi Muwambi is a seasoned crime investigative writer, majoring in judicial-based stories. His two decades’ experience as a senior investigative journalist has made him one of the best to reckon on in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected]
- Business2022.09.27Kikubamutwe: Kansanga’s Village Named After Live-S3x Crazy Men, Latter-day a Notorious Iron-Bar Hitmen`s Den
- Business2022.09.27Maama Fiina: The Spot Where Uganda’s Pipe-Smoking Queen Honed Her Skills before Becoming a Household Name
- Featured2022.09.26How Bobi Wine Had Cooked and Served NUP’s Twaha Kagabo to Sharks Before He Credibly Dived Off the Dining Table
- Crime news2022.09.22Ssimbamannyo: Justice Mubiru Dismisses Sudhir, Equity`s Application with Costs as Inspector of Courts Jumps In