As hosts, Crested Cranes preparations for this year’s CECAFA Women’s Championship have been boosted with two beautiful, professional football players in Natasha Shirazi and Salena Alibhai! The duo, Natasha a forward at Maccabi Kishronot Hadera in Israel, and Salena Alibhai, a midfielder with KAA Gent of Belgium, joined camp on Wednesday, The Investigator Sport reports.
The team is currently camped at the Cranes Paradise Hotel in Kisaasi. The professionals will help Uganda National Women’s team – Crested Cranes fight off the challenge posed by their group `A` opponents of Rwanda, Burundi and Djibouti at the 2022 CECAFA Championship in Njeru, later this month. The forthcoming CECAFA Women’s Championship will be held at the FUFA Technical Centre from 22nd May to 5th June 2022.
The tournament for Uganda will act as a precursor to the TotalEnergies Women Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco, where Uganda will be taking part. According to the team’s head coach, George Lutalo, the training sessions have ranged from indoor drills at the Hotel with gym work, then ball work at Quality Primary School in Kisaasi and Omondi Stadium at Lugogo.
In a function successfully conducted via zoom on Wednesday morning, the eight teams that confirmed participation have been divided into two groups, each containing four. Hosts Uganda have been placed in group `A` and will have to compete against Rwanda, Burundi and Djibouti. Both Uganda and Burundi will use the regional Championship as part of their preparations for the 2022 TotalEnergies Women Africa Cup of Nations in July. Group `B` has Tanzania, Zanzibar, South Sudan and Ethiopia. This is the second time Uganda is hosting this Championship, the first having been in 2016.
Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Djibouti
Tanzania, Ethiopia, Zanzibar, South Sudan
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- Crime news2023.01.27Video Story: The Local Gymnastics Sports Body Rides on but Not Without Hullabaloo and Muddle at its Forefront
- Featured2023.01.25Fatal Fight: Why Eddie Gombya of the ‘Death Fight’ Between Golola Moses and Qassim Ouma is Himself an Angle of Death
- Featured2023.01.23BS Football it Is: Ugandans All Agree that Uganda Cranes is lately Playing ‘Shitty Football’ and Coach Micho is Bad News
- Business2023.01.23Up to Speed: NAADS Changes Rhythm, Now Focuses on Money-making Hass Avocado and Macadamia for Cash Empowerment