When Coach Alex Isabirye advanced with a parsimonious statement that, “Last year we weren’t prepared enough but this time we’ve learnt how to compete and looking forward to write history as the first Jinja team to win the Stanbic Uganda Cup” before they went to the Stanbic Uganda Cup, their opponents Vipers FC laughed out loud.
The Venoms from Kitende seamlessly thought Alex Isabirye and his side BUL FC were joking. Isabirye had every meaning for the word he dropped. Sunday proved him right. Karim Ndugwa’s brace and Simon Peter Oketch’s assault told all the story that Isabirye had helped many of BUL FC’s fan to read. “We are bringing it home”, and indeed with a 3-1 win, BUL FC made history written in the Jinja City Football air, becoming the very first Jinja side ever to win the Uganda Cup.
The 3-1 score that eventually handed BUL FC the Stanbic Uganda Cup first trophy on Sunday 12th helped them (BUL) avenge and punish the Venoms for their last season’s humiliation of the Jinja side-A final that happened in Njeru, almost BUL FC’s backyard in 2021.
Like this season, both teams met at this annual football tournament’s final last season with Vipers taking the day 8-0 at the Njeru Technical centre. The 2022 season StarTimes Uganda Premier League Champions Vipers were forced to agree that BUL was the best side simply too slick for Roberto Oliveira’s charges to contend with in the 3-1 Stanbic Uganda Cup final, played at the Masindi Municipal Stadium yesterday.
Isabirye has this season delivered BUL to a bigger soccer berth at next season’s Caf Confederation Cup and Shs50m prize bonus. BUL also dominated the awards category with Karim Ndugwa picking the top scorers’ gong, Simon Peter Oketch the best midfielder award, Emmanuel Kalyowa the best shots topper and Walter Ochora the best defender.
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- Rugby2022.06.24English Whistle: Englishman Anthony Woodthorpe Won’t Stomach Stubbornness at Rugby Africa Cup in France
- Featured2022.06.16Be Very Afraid! Welfare Vs Warfare as Man’s Own Unregulated Animal Keeping is Fatally Injuring Human Health
- Business2022.06.14More Clout: Stanbic Bank’s CEO Anne Juuko Business Leadership Skills Continues to Star, wins at the ABLA
- Sports2022.06.14Good to Fly: Crested Cranes CECAFA SWC Triumph Signals a Ready Team for the Morocco Bound AFCON