Wednesday, 9th November 2022 will go down in the history as the date at what time the legislators, knowledgeable and, or not, on sports affairs, ever discoursed Sports holistically in Uganda.
Honorable Moses Magogo and Honorable Peter Ogwang, both members of the Eleventh Parliament, continue to front matters pertaining to sports with different presentations in the imposing House. Although with divergent judgments and feelings, presenting far deferent budgetary figures for Sports remittances by Government’s Ministry of Finance, they helped the sports docket to the floor.
If you were to count, the word ‘Sport or Sports’ was mentioned again and again at least fifty times on the evening in Parliament. The legislators were discussing a budget review by the Government through the Ministry of Finance for the first and second quarters of the 2021/2022 financial year.
In his presentation of the Private Members Bill, Magogo, also the FUFA President, quoted a different figure, while Ogwang, himself the Minister charged with the Sports Docket in the Ministry of Education and Sports,also quoted a deferent figure, both in Billions of Uganda Shillings. This prompted the Speaker, Annet Anitah Among to summon both, plus the National Council of Sports (NCS) leadership, to her office for harmony in an exclusive sports meeting.
The two gentlemen however invited the entire August House to historically debate Sports on the floor of Parliament. Ogwang, however insists that Cabinet will harmonise the Private Member’s Bill and the Government Bill during their Monday Cabinet meeting, and thereafter, present a comprehensive paper to Parliament.
“I am the Minister of Sports Madam Speaker. I am not against the Bill but would want the Bill harmonized,” Ogwang noted. The Committee on Education and Sports has been directed to scrutinize the Bill further and report back to Parliament within 45 days. Ogwang has also been advised to give input to the committee as Sports Minister.As Ogwang pleaded with Parliament to allow Government to understudy the Sports Bill, 2022 on Monday, 14thNovember 2022, sections of members thought he was dilly-dallying with the Bill.
Buikwe County South MP, Dr Lulume Bayigga, questioned the Sports Minister’s insistence on delaying the presentation of the Private Member’s Bill to which Ogwang very reluctantly concedes. Hon. Asuman Basalirwa, also had his voice added onto the Sport by representing the mover of the National Sports Bill, 2022 for first Reading.
Hon. Moses Magogo had been scheduled to present the Bill on the Wednesday evening, as a Private Member, for first reading during that afternoon sitting, even as Ogwang tried to block the presentation. Government Chief Whip, Hon Hamson Obua said that the Bill has several connotations of financial implications which require co-sponsorship.
“We have made wide consultations and we request the House to allow us work with the Member. We need more time to present a comprehensive Bill,” Obua said. The tabling of the National Sports Bill for First Readinghad last March been deferred with government arguing that there is a need for further consultations on the financial implications. Government is in the final stages and process of introducing the sports policy which would form principles of the Bill. Sports…sports and sports on the floor.
- Mr. Daniels N. Tatya is an affluent Sports Writer, Commentator and Editor. His over 15 years of covering almost major sporting events makes him a revered and an authority on investigative Sports journalism in Uganda. He can also be reached via [email protected] +256(0)758268315
- FeaturedJanuary 22, 2024Cecilia Barbara Atim Ogwal: The Beauty Queen, Banker, Wife, Mother, Businesswoman, Consultant, Legislator, Advocate and a Politician That Logged Out at 77 Amid G-77
- EntertainmentDecember 23, 2023All Smiles for and Of Joy: The Groundless Beauty is in Realizing that Sometimes Real Superheroes Live in the Hearts of Small Children Fighting Big Battles
- FeaturedDecember 22, 2023NUP Reshuffle: Hon. Mathias Mpuuga Worked With, and Led a Team of Young, Multi-Skilled, Talented But ‘Political Novices’ Courtesy of PeoplePower Wave
- BusinessNovember 29, 2023It is Dead Muzaata`s Word Against the Living Mubajje`s: Fallen Cleric`s ‘You are a Thief’ Lyrics Returns Social Media Wires Years after His Stinging Prediction