“Aware of the situation that is on the ground, and also to avoid unexpected circumstances presumed by some Christians who are not agreeing with the decision taken by the House of Bishops, we kindly ask you to inform the RDC of Luweero who is the head of security in the district, to take a firm step to ensure that security is guaranteed,” wrote Rev. Can. William Ongeng.
Rev. Can. William Ongeng was writing to the outgoing Bishop of Luweero, Rt. Rev. Eridard Nsubuga, informing him how Archbishop Kazimba wouldn’t be able to attend his abdication ceremony in person, but a select committee from his office. The ceremony was scheduled for July 9th 2023 but protesting Christians had two days prior, organized a special service in favor of Bishop-elect Rev. Godfrey Kasana whom, they claim, was wrongfully dethroned of his victory.
It all started when, Archbishop Kazimba cancelled Rev. Godfrey Kasana`s election as the fourth Bishop of Luweero Diocese, on allegations of adultery that were raised against him shortly after his victory announcement. Kazimba is believed to have acted on pressure from a clique of handful but influential Christians from Nakasongola in Buruuri. The allegations were levelled against Kasana, by a supposed Christian, a one Kenneth R. Kikabi
Shockingly, it has since emerged that Kikabi is a non-existent creature. The said Baruuri clique supposedly created him using a one Joseph Ssaku who instead personated the name. Initially, the Diocese Chancellor, Owek Apollo Makubuya, asked for evidence from inexistent `Kikabi` but obviously, in vain.
The clique then resorted to writing petitions to Archbishop Kazimba, threatening to take him to court. They also ran several media reports for weeks, pressurizing the top prelate to call for an extraordinary House of Bishops` meeting in Hoima. Unfortunately, the arguably biased Kazimba didn’t listen to his colleagues like the outgoing Bishop Eridard Nsubuga. He prematurely released the news of the cancellation of Bishop Elect before official communication from Provincial Secretary Can. Ongeng.
Surprisingly, even when the allegations were still awash in the media, Kazimba had summoned the bishop elect, Rev. Godfrey Kasana and told him to prepare for his consecration which had been slated for 16th July 2023. But to everyone`s surprise, he announced his above-mentioned cancellation two weeks after! He proceeded to announce election of a new Bishop on 2nd August 2023 and consecration of the same on 6th August 2023! So prearranged a mission it sounded!
“Can you imagine in just one week he wanted to elect and consecrate a new Bishop! Where would the New Bishop go for a retreat and when would he purchase the pastoral garments yet Rev. Kasana had to wait for three months? Why would Kazimba be so first to conduct a new process in just days yet pastoral garments are imported from UK or Turkey?” wondered a protesting Christian.
It is upon this development that seven Christians filed a case in High Court of Luweero, against the person of Archbishop Kazimba. This stance, to stop him from electing a new bishop but maintain Godfrey Kasana. However, sensing that seven wasn’t a good number, Christians from all over the diocese demanded to join the case. The exercise of signing the court petition has since attracted 5000 signatures, piling pressure onto the archbishop. Below, is one of the red flags Kazimba must have ignored. It is wrapped in form of a warning letter by the outgoing Bishop Eridard Nsubuga.
Below is Bishop Eridard Nsubuga’s submission to the above-mentioned House of Bishops meeting in Hoima on June 28th 2023 following the provincial chancellor’s presentation of the findings that resulted in the nullification of the election of Rev Canon Godfrey Kasana as the 4th bishop of Luweero diocese. Read on…
Your grace and Brother Bishops,
Since the nomination and election of Rev Canon Godfrey Kasana as bishop elect, which took place in April 2023, there arose a click in Luweero Diocese that has been writing petitions against his election.
The motive of the click behind the petitions is very dangerous not only to Luweero diocese but to the entire province as well. the click was created through parading an impersonator (Kikabi R. Kenneth). I assure you that this is an impersonator being used to character assassinate whoever is not a bishop-candidate of the click’s choice for Luweero diocese. This vice if not barred, will set a very regrettable precedent throughout the province, such that the house of bishops will be dancing to the tunes of such clicks.
(1) As far as I believe, the petition in question was authored by an imposter Kenneth R. Kikabi which is not his real name. This, is impersonation, isn’t it? If the content of his petition is right, I challenge him to produce his National ID card in order to verify his identity. Kenneth R. Kikabi does not exist, I believe – It is a gimmick!
(2) His argument against the Consecration of Canon Godfrey Kasana is that Kasana allegedly committed adultery and produced 2 children outside wedlock. Ever since “Kikabi’ made these allegations immediately Kasana was nominated, he has never presented the alleged children or their mother as proof.
(3) Harriet, the wife of the bishop elect testified before the Provincial Chancellor and before his Grace that they have only 7 children and that whoever has a number contrary to 7 should provide empirical evidence.
(4) The gist of the petition has to do with the alleged producing of children outside wedlock and not about telephone calls or sending or receiving messages. It would therefore be very unfair to Canon Kasana, if Kikabi’s allegations are accepted. None of the messages referred to can be deemed as proof of evidence of adultery.
(5) The Chairpersons of both Luweero Diocesan Laity and of the House of Clergy according to the formal Communication they made to His Grace, following receipt of copies of the petition, distanced themselves from Ronald Kikabi who was claiming to speak on behalf of the people of Luweero Diocese.
And, as I speak, almost 95% in terms of expenditure for the Consecration ceremony has already been paid out. Accommodation bookings were confirmed. All service providers have been confirmed, Flights booking for our international partners are confirmed. Both the Kabaka and the Katikkiro of Buganda already congratulated the Bp-elect when he visited Mengo recently. His Excellence the President’s invitation card was already accepted by the State House.
I would therefore, Your Grace and Brother Bishops, urge us, as I conclude, to put ourselves in the shoes of our brother Kasana who has just returned with his wife from Nigeria from where they purchased all the Clerical vestments. Let him be treat like Jesus did to the woman in John chapter 8. The psychological agony or torture he and his family are going through since April when he was elected till now is more than a punishment.
I also pray that we could put ourselves in the shoes of the Christians and Clergy of Luweero Diocese if the Consecration is called off at this 11th hour. Finally, I pray that the Lord may help us so as not to have in Luweero similar cases like those we hear about O`Kunya of Kuumi. I pray that I would leave a strong and a united Diocese as I found it 8 years ago. I beg to submit your Grace.
Eridard Kironde Nsubuga,
- Stanley Ndawula is a two and a half decades’ seasoned investigative journalist with a knack for serious crimes investigations and reporting. He’s the Founding Editorial Director and CEO at The Investigator Publications (U) Limited
- Crime newsSeptember 4, 2023Special Report Exclusive: Unveiling the Gross Inequality at Kingdom Kampala-premised Equal Opportunities Commission; SHACU Initiates Investigation
- BusinessAugust 23, 2023Cairo Bank Scandal Unveiled: High-Stakes Fraud Shakes Financial Facility as the Prime Suspect Fred Kayitare`s Mysterious Death Raise a Buzz of Questions
- BusinessAugust 14, 2023Kagulu Rock Climbing Challenge 2023: Uniting and Pioneering Heritage and Digital Tourism for Economic Growth, Empowerment and Progress
- EducationAugust 14, 2023Bishop Luwalira Replacement Staggers On: Controversy Erupts Over Bishop Nomination Process as Chancellor Mpanga`s Manipulations Spark Outcry